Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Greatest Movies of Our Time: A different opinion (Part 1)

On March 22, ABC & People Magazine had a TV Special called the 'Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time'. Not being a huge fan of television, I didn't even realize that show was on until I saw numerous posts on Twitter. However, as a film enthusiast, I was at first upset that I had not heard about the special, but after reading several tweets, majority of which were criticizing the choice of movie included, I was glad that I had not tuned in. However, by about the 25 negative tweets later, I decided that, although it was too late to watch the show, I would at least review the list online, to see how bad it truly was. Upon reading the completed list, which is available at www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Best_Film, in case you’re curious, I could see how people were so upset.

First, some of the categories were simply ridiculous like Greatest On-Screen Kiss and Best Chick Flick. Of all the categories they could choose from, who determined that such a specific and fairly meaningless activity of kissing should be categorized and voted on? The Best Chick Flick just sounds sexist to me. There are many great movies and actresses in the history of film, could they not have created a category for Best Female Character or Greatest Actress?

Second, some of the movies included were baffling to me. The biggest irritation was seeing Avatar listed as one of the five best sci-fi films of all time. I get that it is the highest grossing film of all time, but part of that is due to the fact that ticket prices, particularly for 3D movies, is higher than ever before. Also, the story is hardly original. If you don't believe me, watch Dance with Wolves and Aliens.

Third, there were other movies that were missing from the list. I immediately question the value of any list of the greatest movies that does not include Citizen Kane. From a cinematic perspective, there is no film that compares to it. The acting and story are amazing, but the cinematography and direction put Citizen Kane in a very elite class of films. It's omission from the list is a complete mystery and very disappointing.

After seeing the top 5 films in all 15 categories, I decided that I should create a list of what I considered to be the Greatest Movies of All Time. For the most part, I tried to keep with the same categories with the exception of Best Chick Flick, Greatest Line and Greatest On-Screen Kiss. I have also removed Westerns from my list, as I haven’t seen enough of them to give the genre justice. However, I did include another category: The Best Hitchcock Films. For each movie listed, I will include a brief summary of why I chose it.

Before I begin, I know that many people will disagree with my choices and be annoyed that I didn't include some of the more widely popular films to my list. However, you must realize that although I am an avid fan of the cinema, there are still many great movies that I have unfortunately, yet to see. Also remember, I am just one person and these are my opinions. Sadly, the list compiled by ABC and People's Magazine was voted on by millions of people.

Due to the length of this list and to avoid having too much criticism at once, I have decided to divide into two parts. I hope you enjoy reading it, and feel free to send me a comment with your favourites.

Best Sci-Fi Films
Star Wars (1977)
No Sci-Fi List would be complete without this movie. It set the precedent for the genre and made it accessible to the mainstream film audience.

Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Even better than Star Wars, it combines the special effects that made the first film so remarkable with a brilliant storyline and direction by Irvin Kershner.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
One of the first sci-fi films to represent aliens as benevolent as opposed to bent on mankind’s destruction. Still as thought provoking today as it was when it was made, during the Cold War.

Metropolis (1926)
This silent film is epic in scale. The set design and number of extras used during filming remains a remarkable feat. This movie inspired almost every great sci-fi film after it.

Alien (1979)
With great set designs, pacing and direction, Ridley Scott created a beautiful and frightening masterpiece.

Best Horror Films
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
A critique of consumerism in America, disguised under a disturbing nightmare of horror. If you can stomach the violence and gore, it's well worth a view.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Claustrophobic and tense, this movie will disturb you, but also keep you on the edge of your seat.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Great acting, disturbing storyline, and tense direction make this a masterpiece of horror.

The Exorcist (1973)
This movie is disturbing, but enthralling. It's more than just a horror movie. It's a work of art.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The most remarkable part of this film is that it's not actually that gory. Most of the violence occurs off-screen. It's what you think is happening that makes it so disturbing.

Best Musical
Singin' in the Rain (1942)
Hilarious spoof on Hollywood as it moved from the silent ear to "talkies". The music and dance numbers are catchy, too.

Sound of Music (1965)
There are very few musicals that have as many memorable songs as this movie. Seamlessly combines music, humour, romance and even suspense in this remarkable film.

A Hard Day's Night (1964)
The Beatles first movie provides a hilarious look into the day in the life of the Fab Four during the height of Beatlemania.

Grease (1978)
You can't help but feel happy after watching this movie. Sure it's a simple story, but sometimes that’s just what we need to escape for a couple of hours.

Moulin Rouge (2001)
Brilliantly combines modern music with period drama. It is truly a one of a kind movie experience.

Best Animated Film
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The first animated film to be nominated for Best Picture. This is a masterpiece of animation that is as enjoyable as any live action film you will likely see.

The Incredibles (2004)
A movie will satisfy both adults and children with its combination of a mature story, and enough action and comedy to keep the kids happy.

Bambi (1942)
Very few films have captured the beauty of nature and the cruelty of mankind (Sorry Avatar) as effective.

Up (2009)
This movie provides more emotion in the first ten minutes then most movies due in their entirety. It is truly a beautiful and touching film.

Fantasia (1940)
With almost no dialogue and a run time of nearly two hours, many people are often turned off by this film. Those that sit through it will witness a marvel in animation.

Best Comedy
Christmas Story (1983)
No other Christmas movie captures family dysfunction like this one, with so many classic scenes that will leave you laughing for days.

This is Spinal Tap (1984)
This classic mockumentary on the music industry offers a clever script and memorable characters.

Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)
Cary Grant at his charming best combined with a witty script, makes this one of the funniest movies of all-time.

Midnight Run (1988)
A fun, fast paced action comedy with great chemistry between the two leads, DeNiro and Grodin.

Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)
Brilliant script and quirky characters make this action comedy truly unique. This one shouldn't be missed.

Stay tuned next week for Part 2, where I will include my top five favourite movies in the following 6 categories: Best Action Movie, Best Suspense/Thriller, Best Political/Historical Film, Best Hitchcock Film, Greatest Film Characters and Best Film.

Until next time,

Jon.

2 comments:

  1. Nice list on each. Comedy is especially hard. I try and avoid it when dealing with lists, but you have a nice variety there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you included Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer on this list! I'll definitely check back for Part 2.

    ReplyDelete