Thursday, February 10, 2011

It Begins

In 2009, I started a blog. After 3 months, 5 blogs, 2 readers and 0 followers, I lost interest. Sure, I loved writing a rant every few weeks, but when no one is paying attention, you begin to realize amusing yourself is a fairly uneventful experience. On the other hand, knowing you are presenting interesting thoughts and ideas that may generate discussion among your friends and strangers alike seems, in theory, to be a wonderful and exhilirating idea.

Fast forward 2 years, where social media continues to become more powerful every day. Now, the possibility of attracting readers to your blog becomes more attainable. Already I have sent a notice on both Facebook and Twitter, informing my friends and followers that I have started a new blog. Granted, a simple announcement of a new blog does not mean instant success. Most of the blogs I have read are written by people who either have a captive audience due to the website they write their blog on or who are famous. I am already starting at an extreme disadvantage as I am neither famous nor do I have a website that is regularly visited by thousands.

The only way I can hope to even attract one follower is to not only send continual reminders to encourage people to read my blog, but to write something that will capture the interest of my audience and entice them to continue to visit. This will be the ultimate test.

So, what can a reader of my blog have to look forward to? To be honest, I don't know. It depends on what lies ahead. What I can tell you, is that I'm not afraid to speak my mind. Whether it's a review of a new movie, a commentary on the state of our society, a rant about politics or anything else that might incense me enough to want pull out my soapbox and share my thoughts with the world, I will do so unabashed and uncensored.

If I can do this, with my humour intact, that may be enough to attract some followers and maybe create some interesting discussion along the way. I hope you will come along for the ride, and share your comments along the way, and hopefully we can enjoy the bumpy road of life together. And here we go. . .

Until next time,

Jon.

2 comments:

  1. Jon I will definitely read your blog, at least to give it a try. I've never read a blog before, so that would make me a blog virgin, and you can be my first!

    ReplyDelete